Capturing Life

This weekend I participated in the "Capturing Life" photography class presented by Melanie Reyes of Melanie Reyes Photography. Melanie is an amazing photographer and her work has been an inspiration to me for a while now. (Check her out at: www.melaniereyesphotography.com) She has photographed a few of my friends' weddings and she's absolutely incredible at capturing the beauty of love and happiness.

The class took place at Pretzel Bell in Ann Arbor, in their private banquet space.  We arrived to coffee, and cute canvas bags with a personalized notebook inside. We jumped right in to the basics of our cameras, and how to adjust the settings to attain the best quality photo.

This was so beneficial to me, because the capabilities of a DSLR camera are really varied, but unless you know how to adjust the settings manually, the auto settings don't necessarily make for great quality photos. I've had my DSLR for a few months now, but figuring it out has been tough. Melanie's class really helped me to understand how to compose a good picture, and I've already seen the difference in my photos.

After lunch, we took a walk around downtown Ann Arbor and got to put some of what we'd learned so far into practice.  Melanie's assistant for the class, Fiona, kindly modeled for us to practice shooting in different light, and I've included a couple of my favorite photos below. I hope you enjoy them! I'll be sharing more photos as I practice going forward, and hopefully continue to improve!



ann arbor, photography, dslr photography, ann arbor photography

ann arbor, photography, dslr photography, ann arbor photography

Comments

  1. Nice blog post! Melanie Reyes has some nice photos indeed, however, your photos are very nice quality as well and with practice, they'll only get get better. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cierra! I appreciate the compliment!

      Delete
  2. The photos are beautiful! I love your post, and how you seem very determined to take the best photos that you possible can! Practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! That is my goal - it's going to take a lot of practice, but it fun to practice something I enjoy so much!

      Delete
    2. Great post, I love the photos you took, they turned out really great. Most people think it's the camera you use that determines the quality of pictures, but there really is an art-form to knowing what you are doing to take the perfect picture. The camera is just the tool.

      Delete

Post a Comment